From jerem...@gowdy.me
Subject Re: Log4net 2.0
Date Wed, 26 Aug 2015 15:15:47 GMT
If we can't force the owner of the nuget log4net package to work with us, why not package it
as log4net official or apache-log4net.  I don't get why packaging is off topic for the release
of a .NET library.  If we are seeking to increase the user base, I would think an official
package in the package manager of choice would be a key component of that.

> On Aug 26, 2015, at 8:06 AM, Dominik Psenner <a@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi again,
>
> I wanted this discussion to stay open for a week and that time is over now. For now I'll
try to answer questions and clarify a few things so that you get another chance to raise your
voice.

> > Will the code be compatible with the current version?
>
> The API should stay more or less the same, but eventually a few things will be dropped.
Among them will be properties like IsDebugEnabled, which could be handled very well internally
with late evaluation of log messages.

> > Just be bold and embrace .NET 4.5
>
> I'm not at all against it, but there's almost no profit to target 4.5 over 4.0, but with
4.0 we have a much larger audience. Personally I do simply want the #ifdefs to be gone for
good. That said, I've the impression that everything that doesn't fit into log4net core only
with #ifdefs should be dropped.

> > Forget supporting the current appenders.
> > I would approve of dropping high complexity, low reward appenders like outdated
.NET remoting.

> We will add filters and appenders that are easy to implement (or already there) for the
targeted framework. To be honest, only what causes more trouble that it is worth will be dropped.
:-)

> > What we do need with the appender interface is install/uninstall hooks.
>
> Nice idea. This will have to be worked out as early as possible such that the new API
can be designed to fit the needs.

> > We also need to take ownership of nuget packaging log4net.
>
> This discussion is off topic and has already been dealt with. We simply cannot force
the owner of the nuget package to work with us and that's it.

> > Personally I'd like to emphasize
> >> [1] To make this come true there will be the need for a few helping hands
>
> Thanks Justin, I'm glad that you're willing to lend a hand!
>
> Everyone else, please note that the more hands we can get, the faster and easier it is
going to be. Thus, volunteers, jump out of your bushes!