From Justin Dearing <zippy1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Sysinternals Process Monitor appender
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2014 12:07:04 GMT
Stefan.

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 5:07 AM, Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:

> > If I were to make an appender without the dependency on Wintellect's C++
> > code, could that be added to the log4net built in Appenders?
>
> Would it have any other external dependency?  I don't think we'd want to
> add any new dependencies to log4net itself.

There are no dependencies other than the .NET framework and PInvoke..
Everything happens trough Win32 FileIO. Here is a simple LINQpad example of
me writing to procmon.

https://github.com/zippy1981/ProcMon.LINQpad

> Other than that we'd likely need to get some legal issues clear - it is
> your code and your code alone and you want to grant ot to the ASF -

I wrote all the code in that LINQpad myself. I used Wintellect's managed
version and pinvoke.net as references. John from Wintellect has said he is
ok with me including me code in log4net, but  is willing to sign something
if someone felt it was necessary. I'm personally willing to keep copyright,
assign copyright, or hold joint copyright, as per whatever ASF wants.z

> but personally I don't see any reason to not include it.  I'm certainly not
> the only member of the team.

Its not a lot of code to write, so I'd rather debate a patch than code I
will theoretically write. You guys use SVN. Should I just email an actual
patch to the list? If I were to import the svn repo as a git repo on
github, could you guys generate a patch from that to allow for back and
forth feedback? Is there a formal vote?

Justin