From "Howe, Peter L" <ph...@paychex.com>
Subject RE: Remote appender not sending
Date Fri, 18 Oct 2013 17:47:34 GMT
Now that I have it "working" (sort of), I am noticing some very non-performant conditions...

When I run the client and server process, and leave everything running long enough, I get
all the events to the server, however I see dozens of remoting connections in NETSTAT, and
the server process never sees a batch of events larger than one.  This is the relevant parts
of my .config on the client side:

    <appender name="RemotingAppender"
              type="Paychex.IP.Common.Logging.TimedRemotingAppender" >
      <sink value="tcp://localhost:8085/IPRemotingLogger" />
      <bufferSize value="20" />
      <flushPeriod>10</flushPeriod>
      <lossy value="false" />
      <onlyFixPartialEventData value="true" />
      <evaluator type="log4net.Core.LevelEvaluator">
        <threshold value="DEBUG" />
      </evaluator>
    </appender>

    <root>
      <priority value="ALL"/>
      <appender-ref ref="RemotingAppender" />
    </root>

The client calls logging 1,000 times.  The main program (client) thread is done almost immediately,
but if I DON'T leave the client running long enough (which is a number of minutes) for the
pool threads to send all the events, I get this at program close:

    log4net: Hierarchy: Shutdown called on Hierarchy [log4net-default-repository]
    log4net:ERROR [TimedRemotingAppender] RemotingAppender [RemotingAppender] failed
    to send all queued events before close, in OnClose.

I don't understand why the events are being sent to the server one at a time, instead of 20
(my buffer size.)

Thanks,
Peter