From "Howe, Peter L" <ph...@paychex.com>
Subject RE: Remote appender not sending
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2013 15:00:50 GMT
I also set up my test client to call LogManager.Shutdown( ) separately from closing the application,
with pauses in between things.  After calling shutdown (and a long timeout), this message
was displayed on the client:

log4net: Hierarchy: Shutdown called on Hierarchy [log4net-default-repository]
log4net:ERROR [TimedRemotingAppender] RemotingAppender [RemotingAppender] failed
to send all queued events before close, in OnClose.

However, all four of the previously mentioned connections remain established until the client
application itself closes, at which point those connections disappear.

Peter

From: Howe, Peter L
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2013 10:44 AM
To: Log4NET Dev
Subject: Remote appender not sending

OK, here is my situation.

I have a server process written that listens on the correct port for a remoting connection.
 I see it in NETSTAT:

               TCP    0.0.0.0:8085           DEV-D-21F7T:0          LISTENING       884

My test application makes a few calls to log4net.  I have implemented the TimedRemotingAppender
shown in these posts:

http://apache-logging.6191.n7.nabble.com/Remote-Appender-td22810.html

As expected, nothing happens in Remoting until the timer expires.  I made four logging calls
in the test client.  I put a breakpoint in the TimedRemotingAppender.Append method to make
sure it gets called - it is getting called all four times.  Each time it calls base.Append.
  Once the timer expires and the flush( ) method is called, Remote connections show up in
NETSTAT:

  TCP    127.0.0.1:8085         DEV-D-21F7T:52589      ESTABLISHED     884
  TCP    127.0.0.1:8085         DEV-D-21F7T:52590      ESTABLISHED     884
  TCP    127.0.0.1:8085         DEV-D-21F7T:52591      ESTABLISHED     884
  TCP    127.0.0.1:8085         DEV-D-21F7T:52592      ESTABLISHED     884
  TCP    127.0.0.1:52589        DEV-D-21F7T:8085       ESTABLISHED     7268
  TCP    127.0.0.1:52590        DEV-D-21F7T:8085       ESTABLISHED     7268
  TCP    127.0.0.1:52591        DEV-D-21F7T:8085       ESTABLISHED     7268
  TCP    127.0.0.1:52592        DEV-D-21F7T:8085       ESTABLISHED     7268

I see a separate remoting connection here for each of the four log events, however IRemoteLoggingSink.LogEvents(
) is never called on the server.  Things are getting lost somewhere in the bowels of log4net,
even though it LOOKS like Remoting connections are being made.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as where to look?

Thanks,
Peter

The information contained in this message may be privileged, confidential and protected from
disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or
agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please notify your representative immediately
and delete this message from your computer. Thank you.