From "Howe, Peter L" <ph...@paychex.com>
Subject RE: Remote appender client and server
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2013 15:36:36 GMT
I have been running the server process and client process on the same machine (my development
box), so I don't think it's a firewall issue.

In the debugger, I dug into the log4net objects, this is the object returned from the call
to LogManager.GetLogger():

[cid:image003.png@01CEC99A.CE845A50][cid:image006.jpg@01CEC99A.CE845A50]

I am not that familiar with the internals of log4net, but I am concerned about the collection
object called "Appenders" that is empty.

I don't understand that, since I turned on the debug output for log4net, and I see messages
saying the appenders have been added:

log4net: log4net assembly [log4net, Version=1.2.10.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKey
Token=1b44e1d426115821]. Loaded from [C:\Projects\IP\Common\RemoteAppenderConsol
eTests\bin\Debug\log4net.dll]. (.NET Runtime [4.0.30319.18052] on Microsoft Wind
ows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1)
log4net: DefaultRepositorySelector: defaultRepositoryType [log4net.Repository.Hi
erarchy.Hierarchy]
log4net: DefaultRepositorySelector: Creating repository for assembly [Logging, V
ersion=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]
log4net: DefaultRepositorySelector: Assembly [Logging, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=
neutral, PublicKeyToken=null] Loaded From [C:\Projects\IP\Common\RemoteAppenderC
onsoleTests\bin\Debug\Logging.dll]
log4net: DefaultRepositorySelector: Assembly [Logging, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=
neutral, PublicKeyToken=null] does not have a RepositoryAttribute specified.
log4net: DefaultRepositorySelector: Assembly [Logging, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=
neutral, PublicKeyToken=null] using repository [log4net-default-repository] and
repository type [log4net.Repository.Hierarchy.Hierarchy]
log4net: DefaultRepositorySelector: Creating repository [log4net-default-reposit
ory] using type [log4net.Repository.Hierarchy.Hierarchy]
log4net: XmlConfigurator: configuring repository [log4net-default-repository] us
ing file [C:\Projects\IP\Common\RemoteAppenderConsoleTests\bin\Debug\RemoteAppen
derConsoleTests.vshost.exe.Config] watching for file updates
log4net: XmlConfigurator: configuring repository [log4net-default-repository] us
ing file [C:\Projects\IP\Common\RemoteAppenderConsoleTests\bin\Debug\RemoteAppen
derConsoleTests.vshost.exe.Config]
log4net: XmlConfigurator: configuring repository [log4net-default-repository] us
ing stream
log4net: XmlConfigurator: loading XML configuration
log4net: XmlConfigurator: Configuring Repository [log4net-default-repository]
log4net: XmlHierarchyConfigurator: Configuration update mode [Merge].
log4net: XmlHierarchyConfigurator: Logger [root] Level string is [ALL].
log4net: XmlHierarchyConfigurator: Logger [root] level set to [name="ALL",value=
-2147483648].
log4net: XmlHierarchyConfigurator: Loading Appender [RemotingAppender] type: [Pa
ychex.IP.Common.Logging.TimedRemotingAppender]
log4net: SystemInfo: Loaded type [Paychex.IP.Common.Logging.TimedRemotingAppende
r] from assembly [Logging, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
] by searching loaded assemblies.
log4net: XmlHierarchyConfigurator: Setting Property [Sink] to String value [tcp:
//localhost:8085/IPRemoteLoggingSnk]
log4net: XmlHierarchyConfigurator: Setting Property [BufferSize] to Int32 value
[2]
log4net: XmlHierarchyConfigurator: Setting Property [FlushPeriod] to Int32 value
[5]
log4net: XmlHierarchyConfigurator: Setting Property [Threshold] to Level value [
DEBUG]
log4net: XmlHierarchyConfigurator: Setting Property [Evaluator] to object [log4n
et.Core.LevelEvaluator]
log4net: XmlHierarchyConfigurator: Created Appender [RemotingAppender]
log4net: XmlHierarchyConfigurator: Adding appender named [RemotingAppender] to
logger [root].
log4net: XmlHierarchyConfigurator: Hierarchy Threshold []

I'm very confused at this point.

Peter