From Michael Schall <mike.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: asynchronous logging
Date Tue, 30 Jul 2013 16:11:39 GMT
You could try the BufferingForwardingAppender.  We use this while writing
to a file (we usually buffer up 512 events) and I believe we use
LogicalThreadContext for certain things we want logged.  You can setup an
evaluator so that the buffer is flushed at certain times other than size.
 We do so if the threshold is WARN or higher so it will be flushed on error
before the process dies.  I think the way it works is the message is
created when logged, but then added to a memory queue and sent to whatever
appenders you want when flushed.  Also, make sure you set lossy to false or
else messages will be thrown away rather than flushing the buffer when it
reaches the bufferSize.

    <appender name="BufferingForwardingAppender"
type="log4net.Appender.BufferingForwardingAppender" >
        <bufferSize value="512" />
        <lossy value="false" />
        <evaluator type="log4net.Core.LevelEvaluator">
            <threshold value="WARN"/>
        </evaluator>
        <appender-ref ref="RollingFile" />
    </appender>