From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Async logging
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2012 11:29:42 GMT
On 2012-06-08, Dominik Psenner wrote:

> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4NET-344?focusedCommentId=13291557>
> I would like to start a discussion how log4net should support
> asynchronous logging. Tom Tang implemented a general async forwarding
> appender that glues together other appenders and thus adds general
> async processing of log events. He implemented a good idea that misses
> only a few small things to be an awesome improvement.

Like I wrote over there, I need to give the code more than just a quick
glance, but it look really useful to me to.

> My objections are:

> *         the queue size should be configurable

> *         the ThreadPool should be used in favour over a designated worker Thread

+1 to both.

> *         if the queue is full, it should fallback to synchronous logging,
> shouldn't it?

I agree with the idea proposed later during the thread of using a
strategy here.  The IGNORE strategy would be the same as having some
"unlimited" value for the queue size, right?

> *         queued log events should be processed when the appender gets
> disposed

I'd encourage you to verify how the RemotingAppender currently works, it
must be facing the same issue WRT being shut down.  My guess is "do the
best we can do but don't guarantee anything".

Stefan