From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Distribution Formats
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2011 04:16:33 GMT
On 2011-09-09, Ron Grabowski wrote:

> New key? I think I Nicko sent me the current assembly keya long time
> ago. People always complain when keys change

Search a while back through your mail backlog (about a month).

There is consensus to move to a new key that is deliberately not kept
secret so people can build their own patched versions of log4net and get
the same strong name.

We will explain that the key does not provide any sort of security
promise - people are supposed to verify the PGP signature for that.

Some people may rely on the implied promise of "this is the real thing"
of the old key which is why Curt asked us to not make the old key public
(this is the only reason why we need a new key).

1.2.11 and maybe later releases should be available with two different
strong names.

Stefan