From James Rosenfeld <james.rosenf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: .NET 2.0 patches
Date Sat, 19 Nov 2005 09:46:56 GMT
On 11/18/05, Nicko Cadell <nicko@neoworks.com> wrote:

> The .NET 2.0 platform has deprecated a number of APIs replacing them
> with .NET 2.0 only APIs. I think it will be difficult to utilise the
> full range of enhancements in the .NET 2.0 platform while retaining a
> good backwards compatibility story. For example I don't think it will be
> easy for us to switch over to conditionally using generic collections.

I think there's two separate issues that .NET 2.0 brings to the table.
 One, there are deprecated API's which, if nothing else, produce
compiler warnings.  Two, there are enhancements, such as generics,
that are specific to 2.0 and not backwards compatible.  The first
seems to be the more pressing issue, since 2.0 is out there, and I
would think that going towards a release that "officially" supports
2.0 would be predicated on the code compiling without warnings.

> This policy of a build per platform per version does lead to a confusing
> plethora of different log4net assemblies. (and a rather large download).
> This is something that we should review for the next major version of
> log4net. Your opinions and experience on this would be greatly
> appreciated.

While conditional compiliation and having a build for each platform
makes maintenance tougher and the source a little messier, in this
type of utility, I think that having builds that expose the maximum
amount of functionality for the different target platforms is a good
thing (as opposed to the least common/compatible denominator).
Another benefit would seem to be a smaller build for NETCF...I don't
know exactly how much of the code is excluded from that platform, but
I'd imagine when working in a NETCF environment space can be something
of a premium and every little bit counts, perhaps.

James

--
James Rosenfeld
james.rosenfeld@gmail.com