From Andrej Golcov <andrej.gol...@hermes.si>
Subject FW: WMI Appender
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:07:45 GMT
Nicko,

Please look into attached archive file. I little bit changed files you sent
me to avoid need to register WmiAppender by InstallUtil.
The main idea I want to show is possibility to send WMI events directly from
an application with simultaneous possibility to trigger WMI events by
non-WMI logging such as usual string logging.

It is only proof of concept with no error handling, optimization, nant etc.

The solution contains four projects:

WmiAppender - a log4net appender accepts IRawLayout as layout. In DoAppend
method it calls layout.Format and than sends received from layout object
into the WMI. Does not require registration, but references
System.Management.Instrumentation. Can be added in log4net.dll.

SampleWmiLayout - can be changed for specific application but also can be
used as it is. Implements a simple layout that checks if
loggingEvent.MessageObject is WMI event
if yes - return it
if no - create and return a new WMI event WmiLoggingEvent

CustomWmiEvent - implements a custom WMI event (ApplicationSpecificEvent)
used directly from the application

WmiAppenderApp - demonstrates both use cases:
 - Logging a string with triggering WmiLoggingEvent by
SampleWmiLayout.WmiLayout
 - Direct logging a WMI event (ApplicationSpecificEvent) from an application

Regards, Andrej