From "Scott Hanselman" <Sc...@Corillian.com>
Subject RE: .NET 2.0 patches
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 09:09:18 GMT
Interesting. Out of curisousity, what kinds of problems? Would not the ideal goal be to target
the least common denomenator (rather than #ifdefs) and have a single binary work on .NET 1.1
and 2.0? What's log4net's goal as far as the ratio of binaries to platforms?

Scott Hanselman
http://www.computerzen.com

________________________________

From: Jim Rosenfeld [mailto:james.rosenfeld@gmail.com]
Sent: Sun 11/13/2005 10:06 PM
To: log4net-dev@logging.apache.org
Subject: .NET 2.0 patches

Greetings,

I've been using log4net for a little while now and it's really a great tool to have in the
toolbox.  Naturally, when I obtained my copy of Visual Studio 2005, I wanted to see how log4net
would compile in the release version of the 2.0 framework.  I was able to compile it successfully,
but with a number of warnings for deprecated methods, etc.  So I went through all of the (non-XML
doc) warnings and added conditional compilation statements (#if (NET_2_0)) with fixes for
the various issues the compiler reported.

I probably should have looked into contributing more first and applied changes to the current
svn version of the code, but at least I've run through the process once.  I did a quick search
through the dev mailing list archives and I didn't see anything related to an effort to update
the code for .NET 2.0 (besides a recent checkin for one 2.0 related warning), so I wanted
to see if anyone else already has this in the works somewhere, and if not, if I should submit
patches for the fixes (which, in the interim, I'll probably start applying to the svn branch).

James

--
James Rosenfeld
james.rosenfeld@gmail.com