From Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Subject Re: Application Server integration in Tomcat
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2019 16:04:06 GMT

Ralph,

On 2/25/19 10:16, Ralph Goers wrote:
> Here is an answer to your question regarding using Log4j for
> tomcat internal logging. I have seen lots of tomcat deployments
> where catalina.out was a problem. Tomcat provides no rolling
> mechanism and over months the file can become enormous.
Well, you specifically asked to log everything to the console. Tomcat
redirects the console to catalina.out. If you have a file that grows
without bound, then you kind of get what you asked for.

Using log4j to log-to-the-console isn't going to that that. If you
want to log to a file, then that's not logging to the console.

If you want to log to a file with rolling, then you can do that with
the built-in logging (JULI). There is no need to introduce log4j into
the mix.

Logging to the console is not a great plan in general, though I
understand that it is a common practice with Docker deployments where
the console is actually redirected elsewhere by Docker.

- -chris

>> On Feb 25, 2019, at 6:59 AM, Christopher Schultz
>> <chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:
>>
> Paul,

> So you want Tomcat's internal logging to go through log4j with a
> configuration file in CATALINA_HOME/lib/log4j.xml and then you
> also want your individual applications to use log4j with their own
> WEB-INF/classes/log4j.xml and both Tomcat and applications need a
> custom appender?
>
> No problem.
>
> Just put all of [ log4j JAR file, your custom appender JAR,
> log4j.xml] into CATALINA_HOME/lib *and also* into
> WEB-INF/lib/*.jar, WEB-INF/classes/log4j.xml and you should be good
> to go.
>
> Dumb question: why bother using log4j for Tomcat server-level
> logging? If you want to dump to the console, just configure Tomcat
> to dump to the console and forget all this additional work.
>
> -chris

to no avail.

}]

> I have this in setenv.sh and setenv.sh is working properly
> otherwise:

al/tomcat/bin/tomcat-juli.jar

> NOTE: Picked up JDK_JAVA_OPTIONS:

INFO StatusLogger Log4j appears to be running in a Servlet

is inactive INFO StatusLogger Log4j appears to be running in a

is inactive INFO StatusLogger Log4j appears to be running in a

50c791

> TRACE StatusLogger Trying to find [log4j2-test799f7e29.properties]

for instructions on how to configure Log4j 2 INFO StatusLogger