From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Odd problem starting program with log4j2 on Windows
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2018 17:38:12 GMT
I have updated the issue you referenced. From what I can tell this is not an issue in Log4j.
It is an issue with the way file urls work.

Ralph

> On Jul 5, 2018, at 9:05 AM, Shawn Heisey <apache@elyograg.org> wrote:
>
> On 7/3/2018 4:59 PM, Ralph Goers wrote:
>> Also - Since %DEFAULT_SERVER_DIR% doesn’t have a leading “/“ you might have
to specify file:///.

> There is no leading / on Windows.  An absolute path starts with "X:" there.
>
> I created an eclipse project and then copied the resulting source and binary files, plus
the minimum required log4j jars, to a new location and made a batch file to illustrate the
problem.

> To try it, extract the following zipfile, open a command prompt, cd to the root of the
extracted files, and type "script\start".

> https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpe8bw4ebf5l2l3/log4j-demo-config-problem.zip?dl=0
>
> The current working directory gets added to the location in URI form.  This is also what
is happening with the Solr startup.

> We have an issue in Solr to track getting the problem fixed there:

> If I change "file:" to "file://" that does seem to fix the problem, but only if the indicated
path is absolute.  So it works on the Solr startup (which is working with absolute paths),
but fails in my recreation zipfile, which uses a relative path.

> We are using file: on Linux without the // and aren't having any problems.  It seems
to be a problem only on Windows.