From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: HTTPAPPENDER
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2017 23:59:34 GMT
Yes, that blog post is incorrect.  The blog post links to our Jira issue. I have updated that
to add the recommendation that user’s use JsonLayout and mention that the SocketServers
are still supported.

The blog post doesn’t allow comments and I see no other way to correct them. It is rather
annoying since we had this discussion with Jordan at the time. However, the blog entry was
posted on April 20 and he only came to understand that the problem was with SerializedLayout
on April 28. He never updated it.

Ralph

> On Oct 24, 2017, at 12:58 PM, Mikael Ståldal <mikes@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Elasic.co got it wrong in that blog post. The problem is not SockerAppender, the problem
is SerializedLayout.

> Maybe people were confusing the two, since SerializedLayout used to be default layout
for SockerAppender. But it has always been possible to configure SockerAppender to use another
layout. And since Log4j 2.9.0, SerializedLayout is deprecated and no longer default in any
appender.