From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: looking for source
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2016 01:14:15 GMT
Because most people want the exception printed PatternLayout includes the ExtendedThrowableConverter
by default as the last parameter unless you specify %noex. The exception is normally not formatted
by the Message.

Ralph

> On Nov 6, 2016, at 4:22 PM, Nicholas Duane <nickdu@msn.com> wrote:
>
> My configuration simply has %msg in the pattern layout to output the message.  However,
that seems to be outputting the message along with some serialized representation of the exception.
 I was looking at the message pattern converter at:

> https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/blob/master/log4j-core/src/main/java/org/apache/logging/log4j/core/pattern/MessagePatternConverter.java
>

> which I assume is what formats the string for the %msg pattern.  Is that correct?  I
don't see in the code where it's getting the exception info, but I guess it might already
be in the Message object.

> Thanks,
>
> Nick
>
> ________________________________

%ex uses printStackTrace to format the Exception, however that is not the default. We extend
the stack trace to also include the source of each class (i.e. the jar or class directory)
and its version, if it can be determined. Other Layouts may, or may not, format the Exception
depending on what they are attempting to do.

> To take this further, there are many components that make up the log event - the level,
Marker, message (with or without parameters), time, ThreadContext values, logger name, class
name, method name, line number and the exception. Each of these are discrete values that the
Layout can format (or not) as it chooses.

> Ralph
>
>> On Nov 5, 2016, at 6:33 PM, Nicholas Duane <nickdu@msn.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks.  I have no problem doing that.  Just wondering what needs to be done and
how?  I guess I was hoping that the logging framework, eg. log4j, handled combining the message
and the exception such that no matter what appender/layout you used you'd get consistent results.
 Sounds like that's not the case.  So are you saying I need to combine the message and the
exception myself within our appender/layout?

>> From the code I included below you can see we're doing:
>>

>> String message = logEvent.getMessage().getFormattedMessage();
>>

>> to get the event's message.  Are you saying we should be doing something like this:
>>

>> StringWriter sw = new StringWriter();
>> logEvent.getThrown().printStackTrace(new PrintWriter(sw));
>> String exceptionAsString = sw.toString();
>> String message = logEvent.getMessage().getFormattedMessage() + "\n" + exceptionAsString;
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Nick
>>
>> ________________________________

LogEvent, not from the Message. That is the design that all Layouts and Appenders follow and
should follow.

>> The Message object passed to the Layout may no longer have the Throwable.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On 6 Nov 2016, at 10:01, Nicholas Duane <nickdu@msn.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately I'm not following.  If someone can point
me to the source in question I will certainly look it over.  My sample outputs the message
(%msg) and when the method logger.error(String message, Throwable t) is called it seems some
code is combining the supplied string message with the exception message and stack trace.
 Just wondering what code is doing that as I'm told someone using our appender/layout is not
seeing the exception.

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Nick
>>>
>>> ________________________________

or its garbage-free equivalent), but is later transferred to the LogEvent.

>>> By the time the LogEvent reaches the Layout, the Message instance may be a different
Object than the one that originally held the Throwable.

>>> The Layout should get the Throwable from the LogEvent, not from the Message.
>>>
>>> Remko
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

through the source will probably take me hours.  I'm curious about the overloads with the
throwable, for instance:

to do with the message and the exception?  I know the message is usually output via the message
property in the pattern layout.  But what happens with the throwable?  Is there some code
responsible for constructing a message which combines the supplied message with the throwable
exception message and callstack?

exception.  Just wondering where that happens.  Now onto my specific problem.  We've got someone
saying that when they use the error() method which takes a string message and an throwable
the exception information is not making it to our central repository.  We have written our
own appender and our own layout.  Here is a snippet from our appender:

<https://avatars1.githubusercontent.com/u/47359?v=3&s=400]%3Chttps://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/blob/master/log4j-api/src/main/java/org/apache/logging/log4j/spi/AbstractLogger.java%3E>

Logger in the core module: https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/blob/master/log4j-core/src/main/java/org/apache/logging/log4j/core/Logger.java
>>> [https://avatars1.githubusercontent.com/u/47359?v=3&s=400]<https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/blob/master/log4j-core/src/main/java/org/apache/logging/log4j/core/Logger.java>
>>>
>>> apache/logging-log4j2<https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/blob/master/log4j-core/src/main/java/org/apache/logging/log4j/core/Logger.java>
>>> github.com
>>> logging-log4j2 - Mirror of Apache Logging Log4J2

>> Log4j – Source Repository - Apache Log4j 2<https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/source-repository.html>
>> logging.apache.org
>> Access from Behind a Firewall. Refer to the documentation of the SCM used for more
information about access behind a firewall.

>>> Log4j - Source Repository - Apache Log4j 2<https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/source-repository.html>
>> Log4j – Source Repository - Apache Log4j 2<https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/source-repository.html>
>> logging.apache.org
>> Access from Behind a Firewall. Refer to the documentation of the SCM used for more
information about access behind a firewall.

>>> logging.apache.org
>>> Access from Behind a Firewall. Refer to the documentation of the SCM used for
more information about access behind a firewall.

<https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/source-repository.html>>
>> Log4j – Source Repository - Apache Log4j 2<https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/source-repository.html
<https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/source-repository.html>>
>> logging.apache.org <http://logging.apache.org/>
>> Access from Behind a Firewall. Refer to the documentation of the SCM used for more
information about access behind a firewall.

>>> Log4j - Source Repository - Apache Log4j 2<https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/source-repository.html
<https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/source-repository.html>>
>> Log4j – Source Repository - Apache Log4j 2<https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/source-repository.html
<https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/source-repository.html>>
>> logging.apache.org <http://logging.apache.org/>
>> Access from Behind a Firewall. Refer to the documentation of the SCM used for more
information about access behind a firewall.

>>> logging.apache.org <http://logging.apache.org/>
>>> Access from Behind a Firewall. Refer to the documentation of the SCM used for
more information about access behind a firewall.

for more information about access behind a firewall.

etc.  I'm trying to find the source for log4j2's implementation of logger.error(String, Throwable);.
 Can someone point me to that?  I was looking around here: