From "COHEN, STEVEN M" <sc1...@att.com>
Subject Example of using Log4jContextFactory?
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2016 20:58:16 GMT
The goal:  to configure log4j2 logging on a standalone EJB deployed to a JBoss EAP7 server
in an EJB jar.  We do not wish to use the loggers supplied by JBoss for our applications.
 I find that I can deploy a log4j2.xml file at the root of the ejb jar and it does get seen
by JBoss but logging still isn't happening.

Referring to https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.0/manual/extending.html, I see a glimmer of
hope that this may provide a solution.  The LoggerContextFactory and ContextSelector sections
seem to provide a possibility.  My approach is to create my own logging factory extending
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.impl.Log4jContextFactory.  This makes a Log4jContextFactory
that uses the JndiContextSelector and I will add envEntries to my EJB configuration to define
the Jndi context.

public class EjbJarLoggingContextFactory extends Log4jContextFactory {
	public EjbJarLoggingContextFactory() {
		super(new org.apache.logging.log4j.core.selector.JndiContextSelector());
	}
}

Now how to tell log4j about this?  The LoggerContextFactory of the document is a bit vague,
perhaps even contradictory:

The LoggerContextFactory binds the Log4j API to its implementation. The Log4j LogManager locates
a LoggerContextFactory by locating all instances of META-INF/log4j-provider.properties, a
standard java.util.Properties file, and then inspecting each to verify that it specifies a
value for the Log4jAPIVersion property that conforms to the version required by the LogManager.
If more than one valid implementation is located the value for FactoryPriority will be used
to identify the factory with the highest priority. Finally, the value of the LoggerContextFactory
property will be used to locate the LoggerContextFactory. In Log4j 2 this is provided by Log4jContextFactory.

Applications may change the LoggerContextFactory that will be used by

    1. Implementing a new LoggerContextFactory and creating a log4j-provider.properties to
reference it making sure that it has the highest priority.
    2 . Create a new log4j-provider.xml and configure it with the desired LoggerContextFactory
making sure that it has the highest priority.
    3. Setting the system property log4j2.loggerContextFactory to the name of the LoggerContextFactory
class to use.
    4. Setting the property "log4j2.loggerContextFactory" in a properties file named "log4j2.LogManager.properties"
to the name of the LoggerContextFactory class to use. The properties file must be on the classpath.

First we are told that it locates all instances of META-INF/log4j-provider.properties.  But
then it goes on to list four possible ways to change this.  I settled on #4, created a log4j2LogManager.properties
file defining the log4j2.loggerContextFactory property to point at my Factory class.

It doesn't work.  No logging occurs.  In the jboss logs I see no sign that my properties file
has been consulted, and nothing happens.

So I have these questions:

1.  Does the introductory test about META-INF/log4j-provider.properties contradict the four
methods suggested below.  If not, what am I not understanding?
2.  Is there a worked example somewhere of setting up such a configuration that I can consult?
3.  Is there a better way to achieve the goal I am trying to achieve - get logging to work
in a standalone EJB?

Thanks.