From Matt Sicker <boa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: porting log4j2 to .NET
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2016 13:59:58 GMT
That would be great. From what I recall, the two main log4net developers
are pretty busy with other things now and can only provide some maintenance
work on log4net. We have tweeted and blogged about this in the recent past
looking for some new developers. I personally haven't used C# since
college, and the .net framework has changed a lot since then, so I don't
feel competent enough to spearhead a log4net2 or anything like that myself.

On 19 October 2016 at 02:45, Mikael Ståldal <mikael.staldal@magine.com>
wrote:

> It seems to me that a (conceptually) simple and constructive way forward
> would be to improve or redo (depending on the current state of it) Log4Net
> to be on par with with Log4j 2.x in terms of architecture and features
> (such as support for markers).
>
> Log4j is currently the most advanced and comprehensive logging framework,
> so let's model the others after it.
>
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 3:36 AM, Nicholas Duane <nickdu@msn.com> wrote:
>
> > But I'm not suggesting a code base that will run everywhere.  As I said,
> > I'm not talking about a single source code base.  What I'm suggesting is
> > single design/architecture which is then implemented across a set of
> > runtimes/OS's.  As opposed to what seems to be the case now where log4j
> is
> > its own team with it's own design and log4net, I guess, was originally a
> > port of log4j but might be moving in its own direction.
> >

> > I suggested the same to the log4net team.  And while it could be the case
> > that I could help with the log4net effort, I would not be interested in
> it
> > going off in its own direction as I see a big benefit in having similar
> > logging frameworks across Java and .NET.
> >

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Nick

API.
> format,