From Nicholas Duane <nic...@msn.com>
Subject porting log4j2 to .NET
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2016 00:33:27 GMT
Figured I would send this question out to the log4j side.  I have already had some email exchanges
with the log4net mailing list regarding porting log4j2 to .NET.  My suggestion was that the
apache logging framework be a single architecture design which is platform agnostic and then
teams which port to the different platforms.  It seems log4net was a port of log4j and may
be going off in its own direction from that initial port.  My viewpoint is that's a bad idea
as one of the benefits I saw was that log4net was similar to log4j2 and we're looking for
logging frameworks for our enterprise.  We have applications on both Windows/.NET and Linux/Java
so having a logging framework for Windows/.NET which is similar to a logging framework for
Linux/Java was a big plus.

While I have no doubt the effort to port log4j2 to .NET is considerable, it would be a port
and thus I'm not spending time figuring out design and algorithms.  Would anyone want to venture
a guess at what that effort might be?

Thanks,

Nick