From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: OnStartupTriggeringPolicy/custom header
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2016 17:40:58 GMT
Yes, the drain method should write whatever is in the ByteBuffer to the file.

Ralph

> On Jun 15, 2016, at 9:34 AM, Leon Finker <leonfin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> An option to roll even empty files would be great. Because in our case we always want
to roll the previous log file.

>> Actually, the triggering policy could write to the file since it has access to the
Manager.

> I've looked through all the possible methods on RollingFileManager and nothing jumped
out that allows us to write to the log file. I only see drain(ByteBuffer), is that the one
to use? Writing from triggering policy seems to be the easiest way in our case.

> On 2016-06-15 12:25 (-0400), Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>> I can add an option to the OnStartupTriggeringPolicy to only roll if the file meets
or exceeds a minimum value. The default would be 1 byte.

>> Also, I believe I introduced another bug.  The file is now going to roll every time
a reconfiguration takes place, which is obviously incorrect. I need to fix that asap.

>> The PatternLayout does not support interpolation of the header and footer but the
Configuration does. All attributes are interpolated as the configuration is read.  You could
create your own custom Lookup to get the processId, but that may be something we should add
to the standard set of properties.

>> Actually, the triggering policy could write to the file since it has access to the
Manager.

>> Ralph
>>

>>> On Jun 15, 2016, at 8:17 AM, Leon Finker <leonfin@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> What would be the best way to implement the following:
>>> 1. Always roll log file once on JVM startup (and only on JVM startup).  - This
could be done with implementing another OnStartupTriggeringPolicy (the one from 2.6.1+ doesn't
roll empty files anymore).
>>> 2. Log an entry in the new log file (after the roll) with something like:
>>> Constants.LINE_SEPARATOR + "---------- " + DateTime.now() + " STARTING " + service_instance_Name
+ " " + getProcessId() + " ----------"
>>> - Does PatternLayout's header support system property lookup variables (i.e.:
service instance name and date time now)?
>>> - Not sure how to allow for custom method call to get the getProcessId() into
the header
>>> - It could've been easy if I could do it from OnStartupTriggeringPolicy, but
there is no way to write to the new rolled log file from there.