From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Getter method for retrieving the attributes of an appender from the LoggerContext
Date Wed, 27 Jan 2016 00:06:51 GMT
I could see AbstractAppender implementing a getAttributes() method like
this:

    public Map<String, String> getAttributes() {
        Map<String, String> map = new HashMap<>();
        fillAttributeMap(map);
        // (1) should the map be read-only? why?
        // (2) if the map is cached in an ivar, the it must be updated by
each appender when an attribute changes, so
        // I'd say no and follow the KISS principle for now.
        return map;
    }

    protected void fillAttributeMap(Map<String, String> map) {
        // ...
    }

The boilerplate of creating and/or managing the map can be in getAttributes().
Actually filling in the map in is done in fillAttributeMap() which each
appender can override.

fillAttributeMap() could be abstract to force each appender to make sure
developers pay attention to providing an implementation.

Gary

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 3:46 PM, Apostolis Giannakidis <
ap.giannakidis@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, since the idea is to add it to the Appender interface, it means that
> all concrete Appenders need to be modified as well. So, yes, I can give it
> a try to implement it for all the Appenders. One other simple way would be
> to implement it once in the AbstractAppender so that all its subclasses
> will inherit it.
>
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 9:15 PM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 1:06 PM, Apostolis Giannakidis <
> > ap.giannakidis@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Actually, since this seems to be a useful feature, I would love to do
> the
> > > patch myself and contribute it to the project, if you don't mind.
> > >

> > Do you plan on implementing this for all Appenders?
> >
> > Gary
> >

> > > On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 8:56 PM, Ralph Goers <
> ralph.goers@dslextreme.com

> way
> accessing
> > want