From "Anshu Garg1" <anshug...@in.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Using log4j1.2.17 foter is not getting added to each log file in rollingfileappender
Date Thu, 07 Jan 2016 03:01:06 GMT

E-mail: anshugarg@in.ibm.com

From:   Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com>
To:     Log4J Users List <log4j-user@logging.apache.org>
Date:   01/07/2016 03:42 AM
Subject:        Re: Using log4j1.2.17 foter is not getting added to each
log file in rollingfileappender

Anshu,

What are your plans going forward?
Out of the 6 issues you raised, you've solved one yourself (custom
Message), two have been addressed in recent Jiras (LOG4J2-908
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-908> and LOG4J2-1244
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1244>), and one has a
solution with CronTriggerPolicy
<
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/appenders.html#TriggeringPolicies
>.
The remaining two can be solved with LOG4J2-1101
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1101>.

On the other hand, you and your team have already done an evaluation and
decided to go with customizing Log4j 1.2.17.
Is that decision going to change based on the solutions now becoming
available in Log4j 2?

Best regards,
Remko

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 11:00 PM, Anshu Garg1 <anshugarg@in.ibm.com> wrote:

> -Thanks & Regards,
> Anshu Garg
> Platform Technology Center, India
>
> Phone: 8800096760
> E-mail: anshugarg@in.ibm.com
>

> From:   Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com>
> To:     Log4J Users List <log4j-user@logging.apache.org>
> Date:   01/06/2016 04:22 AM
> Subject:        Re: Using log4j1.2.17 foter is not getting added to each
> log file in rollingfileappender
>

> Thanks for raising these issues. In addition to Gary's response, can I
ask
> some more questions to clarify?
>
> 1. Does LOG4J2-1101 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1101>
> capture
> your first requirement for a date in the pre-rollover file name?
>
> <Anshu Garg> : This seems like what we need.
>
> 3. I believe you are already verifying the fix for LOG4J2-908
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-908>, so that's in
progress.

> <Anshu Garg> : yes, ASAP and I'll update thread.
>
> 4. I commented on your ticket LOG4J2-1244
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1244> for the custom
> header/footer, let us know if that won't work.
>
> <Anshu Garg> : ASAP, and I'll update thread.
>
> 5. Decoupling file pattern from rollover frequency can be achieved with
> CronTriggerPolicy
> <

http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/appenders.html#TriggeringPolicies

> since 2.5. Does this do what you have in mind? (You mention LOG4J2-573
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-573>, but it looks like
that
> ticket is about something else, unless I misunderstand).
>
> <Anshu Garg> : The ticket does talk about "disassociating the time
trigger
> with the file pattern " and from what I understood from it, it looks
like
> it also requests decoupling frequency and file pattern. On
> CronTriggerPolicy , we never got to 2.5.
>
> 6. Custom log fields, are these items that cannot be covered with
Lookups
> <http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/lookups.html> or
ThreadContext

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30059333/log4j2-rolling-appender-filename-sliding-according-to-pattern