From Nicholas Duane <nic...@msn.com>
Subject status appender?
Date Mon, 14 Dec 2015 15:34:22 GMT
I'm curious if there is such a thing as a StatusAppender in log4j2 which, as you would guess,
is the appender the StatusLogger would use?

Here's what I'm trying to solve, I think.

I've been telling other developers I work with that a piece of code should only write to a
single logger.  The reason for this, in my mind, is that if a piece of code writes to more
than one logger then it essentially has routing logic in it and I would rather have the routing
in the configuration.  For example:

try
    {
    logger1.info(...);
    .
    .
    .
    logger2.debug(...);
    }
catch(Exception e)
    {
    logger1.error(...);
    }

The above code is sending debug events to a different logger than the rest of the events it
raises.  I would rather have the code send all events to a single logger and control where
those events are routed via the configuration.  Feel free to let me know whether this is in
line with logging principles.

So here's the problem.  We've got some code which writes events to its logger.  We want to
capture these events centrally so we're sending them to a central location via an HTTP appender.
 We want to do this only for FATAL - INFO events, so we're not expecting a huge load.  DEBUG
events however, we'd like to send to the same location as the status logger.  We can, of course,
just add a console appender for DEBUG events but that would have to be controlled separately
from the status logger and ideally it would be nice to just piggy back on the status logger.
 We could have this code write to its private logger and the status logger for DEBUG events,
but then we get into the routing issue I mentioned above.  So I'm wondering, is there such
a thing as a StatusAppender?

Thanks,
Nick