From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: programmatically change max file size of RollingFileAppender
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2015 12:28:18 GMT
I will look into it.  Fwiw, if you fork 2.3 and apply the patch it is possible we could go
ahead and do a 2.3.1 release. If there is other stuff you would want included you could also
do that on your fork.

Ralph

> On Dec 9, 2015, at 4:56 AM, Dave Glasser <dglasser@pobox.com> wrote:
>

> Thanks Ralph. I'll either have to apply that patch or go back to 1.2.x, because the software
already has that functionality using 1.2.x, and it can't be taken out.
> I notice that with the patch the size is updated through the RollingFileManager, but
I can't figure out a way to get a reference to that. Any help on that one?

Java 7.  I suppose you could back port the fix to 2.3.

> Ralph
>

>> On Dec 8, 2015, at 9:56 PM, Dave Glasser <dglasser@pobox.com> wrote:
>>

>> I'm using Log4j 2.3, rather than the latest 2.x version, because my code needs to
run on Java 1.6. Anyway, I am configuring everything programmatically. When I create the RollingFileAppender
with RollingFileAppender.createAppender, I pass in as the policy parameter:

>> SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy.createPolicy("10MB");
>>
>> So far, so good. But I need to be able to change the max file size programattically
at runtime. I could do it with log4j 1.2.x because my RollingFileAppender had a setMaxFileSize()
method. But in 2.3, the triggerPolicy field of RollingFileAppender is read only, and the SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy
that determines the max file size seems to be immutable. About the only thing I can see that
might work is to remove the appender and replace it with a new one. Does anyone know a simpler
solution?