From Sandeep Dasika <dasika.sa...@gmail.com>
Subject Query regarding SocketAppender and SimpleSocketServer
Date Tue, 07 Jul 2015 07:01:03 GMT
Hi log4j team,

I have been using log4j in production systems, and it has delivered us
fantastically. My query is around the SocketAppender and SimpleSocketServer
functionality. We have a group of servers that generate log events. These
are configured to write to file appenders. We also want to have error logs
written to a central log file so that it can be easy to browse to find
potential issues in our product.

I have the natural setup for the remote logging up and running perfectly -
The clients that generate the LoggingEvent objects (our production servers)
all write to a SocketAppender that will send it across to the remote
SimpleSocketServer and that ultimately writes to another file appender,
which gives us the centralised log file to browse. However, since we want
to run it at ERROR level, it would be best for us if we have some client ID
(maybe IP) of the client that sends a particular logging event at the
remote end so that it would be easier for us to pinpoint the problems in
our systems. Seems like I'm not sure how that can be done in log4j. Any
hints/suggestions on this would really help me out!

Thanks in advance.
Cheers!