From Ponder Muse <ponder.m...@googlemail.com>
Subject log4j2 web lookup questions
Date Fri, 10 Apr 2015 12:35:18 GMT
Hello,

We have Spring 4 based WAR deployments running on Tomcat 7.0.5x containers
which have just had their log4j2.xml configurations updated to do a
${web:contextPath} lookup in order to use a deployment’s context path as
part of the rolling file’s filename.

We have been able to get log4j2’s web lookups to work but, only after
making two changes in our deployment’s configurations. I list these below:

1) We had to remove org.apache.logging.log4j:log4j-slf4j-impl:2.2 jar from
the deployment’s classpath (but we don't know why this is necessary? We
need this facade for when using 3rd party jars that don't natively work
with log4j2, right!?).

2) We had to include a <display-name>name_here</display-name> entry in the
deployment's web.xml (I read in a Stackoverflow post that the display name
should not be enforced and that it was a bug – not sure if it’s a Tomcat
bug or log4j2 bug however).

Could somebody comment on points 1) and 2)? Particularly point 1) as we
really need to have log4j-slf4j capability in our deployments.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions to these two points.

PM.