From Mangat Rai <mangat.go...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Migrating from log4j 1x to 2x
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2015 17:29:36 GMT
Thank you very much for Reply Jeff.
Now roll over is happening when current date is no longer same as start date. the only problem
i am facing now is that when new file is created it got all old logs also in it. because of
that file size is continuously growing. Is there any parameter i can set which will force
new file to start empty?
Below are the settings defined in xml file
<RollingRandomAccessFile name="Common" fileName="${logdir}\\Common\\common.log" filePattern="${logdir}\\Common\\common.%d{yyyyMMdd}-%i.log.gz">
     <PatternLayout pattern="${layout}"/>      <Policies>        <TimeBasedTriggeringPolicy/>
       <SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy size="1 MB"/>      </Policies>      <DefaultRolloverStrategy
max="10"/>    </RollingRandomAccessFile>
I am not able to find any option in documentation at http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.0/manual/configuration.html
is there any other place for documentation?

Regards,Mangat Rai

> From: jeff.snow@benefitfocus.com
> To: log4j-user@logging.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Migrating from log4j 1x to 2x
> Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 12:45:00 +0000
>
> I believe what you want to do is this (from the Log4j2 docs):
>
>   The following XML fragment defines policies that rollover the log when the JVM starts,
when the log size reaches twenty megabytes, and when the current date no longer matches the
log’s start date.

> <Policies>
>   <OnStartupTriggeringPolicy />
>      <SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy size=“10 MB" />
>      <TimeBasedTriggeringPolicy />
> </Policies>
>
> Jeff
>
> From: Mangat Rai <mangat.goyal@hotmail.com<mailto:mangat.goyal@hotmail.com>>
> Date: Thursday, March 5, 2015 at 2:39 PM
> To: Log4J Users List <log4j-user@logging.apache.org<mailto:log4j-user@logging.apache.org>>
> Subject: RE: Migrating from log4j 1x to 2x
>
> I want to implement log4j so that it creates a new file every day and if in a day a file
grows more than 10 MB then it rolls over same day file into multiple files.

> I used TimeBased and SizeBased trigger policy
>
> <TimeBasedTriggeringPolicy interval="24" modulate="true"/>
> <SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy size="10 MB"/>
>
> interval = 24 hours and size 10MB.
>
> but i am not able to achieve the results.
>
> logs are still written to same file. only thing what it did is it created only one back
up file and whenever new 10MB of logs are written it moved those to backup file.

> I am not seeing multiple files.
>
> I am attaching my log4j2.xml
>
> Could you guys please take a look and let me know what am i doing wrong. what can i change
to satisfy my requirement.

> Regards,
> Mangat Rai
>

> > Subject: Re: Migrating from log4j 1x to 2x
> > From: remko.popma@gmail.com<mailto:remko.popma@gmail.com>
> > Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 08:31:25 +0900
> > To: log4j-user@logging.apache.org<mailto:log4j-user@logging.apache.org>
> >
> > The log4j2 manual contains many xml fragments. In general log4j2 is much better
documented than log4j1.

> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> > > On 2015/03/05, at 7:11, Mangat Rai <mangat.goyal@hotmail.com<mailto:mangat.goyal@hotmail.com>>
wrote:

> > > Dan, Thank you very much for reply.
> > > I kind of got hold of xml file. now i am playing around with different policies
and things like that.

> > > Regards,Mangat Rai

of application using PropertyConfigurator method
HH:mm:ss:SSS zzz -} %-5p %m%nlog4j.appender.Common.Logger.DatePattern='.'yyyyMMddlog4j.appender.Common.Logger.MaxFileSize=10MBlog4j.appender.Common.Logger.MaxBackupIndex=10######################################################################
configuration at start of application.
my log4j property file to work with new log4j v2.

> About Benefitfocus
> Benefitfocus, Inc. (NASDAQ: BNFT) is a leading provider of cloud-based benefits software
solutions for consumers, employers, insurance carriers and brokers. Benefitfocus has served
more than 23 million consumers on its platform that consists of an integrated portfolio of
products and services enabling clients to more efficiently shop, enroll, manage and exchange
benefits information. With a user-friendly interface and consumer-centric design, the Benefitfocus
Platform provides one place for consumers to access all their benefits. Benefitfocus solutions
support the administration of all types of benefits including core medical, dental and other
voluntary benefits plans as well as wellness programs. For more information, visit www.benefitfocus.com.