From Matt Sicker <boa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Web Service Appender
Date Thu, 01 May 2014 20:28:13 GMT
Your best bets for this are certainly Felix, JMS, or maybe even Syslog (the
new RFC version) if you've got a server set up for that already. I'm going
to back up Ralph's idea here that Felix really is the best way to go for
this situation. It's one of the primary use cases for Felix (e.g., in EC2,
it's great for centralized logging).

On 1 May 2014 12:54, Evan J <maps.this.address@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is just gone off the tangent line... in a good way though.
>
> We are going to try to push back and redesign the process to just simply
> make use of JMSAppender to put messages on a queue and have JMS clients
> consume them (and ultimately insert the logs into a database -- maybe use
> JSON for messages). The MQ runs within an integration broker, hence an
> initial idea of routing logging SOAP/service calls through the same broker
> that handles/routes other web services.
>
> This whole marshalling and unmarshalling is very inefficient, on top of a
> fact that this proposed logging service is entirely internal to begin with.
>

> On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 10:59 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com
> >wrote:
>
> > This thread originally started to ask about logging to a web service
> (that
> > term usually implies SOAP).  It seems to have gone off into another
> > direction and I’m not sure if there is still a question here someone
> wants
> > answered.  If you are making a proposal for an enhancement to Log4j 2 I
> am
> > not sure what it is.
> >
> > Ralph
> >
> > On May 1, 2014, at 8:51 AM, <Walter_Marvin@DellTeam.com>
> > <Walter_Marvin@DellTeam.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Dell - Internal Use - Confidential
> > > I take it we were discussing the possibilities for high speed
> production
> > logging. Previous people have rightly pointed out that a simplistic
> > approach using soap might be ineffecient

Appender