From <Walter_Mar...@DellTeam.com>
Subject RE: Web Service Appender
Date Mon, 05 May 2014 13:23:43 GMT
Dell - Internal Use - Confidential
I just saying we have the ability to work with log4j directly at this point. That should be
useful since a custom appender will probably be needed for speed reasons,
There are appenders for web services already written and available as freeware

Thanks

Walter

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Goers [mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2014 10:59 AM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: Re: Web Service Appender

This thread originally started to ask about logging to a web service (that term usually implies
SOAP). It seems to have gone off into another direction and I'm not sure if there is still
a question here someone wants answered. If you are making a proposal for an enhancement to
Log4j 2 I am not sure what it is.

Ralph

On May 1, 2014, at 8:51 AM, wrote:

> Dell - Internal Use - Confidential
> I take it we were discussing the possibilities for high speed
> production logging. Previous people have rightly pointed out that a
> simplistic approach using soap might be ineffecient

th ability to modify log4j should make whatever architecture is chosen cleaner.

>> Thanks
>>
>> Walter

good at collecting log events and forwarding them. However, you could use a JMS appender to
write your events to the MQ queue.

>> Ralph
>>
>> On May 1, 2014, at 7:15 AM, Evan J wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Ralph,
>>>
>>> All the request and response messages, some header data, with
>>> additional information, are placed in an MDC, packaged in an
>>> Appender and sent to an MQ queue which, ultimately, makes a call to
>>> the service. It's a centralized logging model for all the
>>> applications in a cluster. Frankly, I don't like the design nor the setup, but
I don't make such decisions (or requirements).