From <Walter_Mar...@DellTeam.com>
Subject RE: Web Service Appender
Date Thu, 01 May 2014 15:37:15 GMT
Dell - Internal Use - Confidential
What is needed is not only bundling which is a form of buffering, but also process overlap
so that the transfers are held up to a point where the processing is more quiet
And more cycles are available. Offloading to another processor using tux also accomplishes
this. This buffering could involve a stop and wait type protocol with a retransmit feature.
The transmit would have to be some form of permanent storage to do this. Queuing offers the
opportunity to "bundle" in memory, but might result in message loss if some permanent storage
is also not involved, when a process aborts.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Goers [mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2014 10:18 AM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: Re: Web Service Appender

I guarantee you, on a busy system with lots of logging sending a SOAP message for every event
will be a problem. If they are being bundled so that multiple events are sent in each request
that will perform better but could result in losing all the events that are buffered.

Ralph

On May 1, 2014, at 7:26 AM, Walter_Marvin@DellTeam.com wrote:

> Dell - Internal Use - Confidential
> Not necessarily. Remember that the people who read these logs are not
> in the processing loop, and therefore do not slow down the process,
> What is required is an asynchronous thread or process to do the soap transfer during
off cycles, and storage to receive the messages from the Processing stream. Some sort of queuing
and thread, or database storage might be used.

is a single request. Can you elaborate on what you really want to do?