From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Web Service Appender
Date Thu, 01 May 2014 15:56:26 GMT
Yes, persistent buffering can prevent the data loss but adds to the complexity.  The Flume
Appender does that.

I will take a look at the scribe appender when I get a chance.

Ralph

On May 1, 2014, at 8:39 AM, Michael Wechner <michael.wechner@wyona.com> wrote:

> Am 01.05.14 17:18, schrieb Ralph Goers:
>> I guarantee you, on a busy system with lots of logging sending a SOAP message for
every event will be a problem.

> I can second/confirm that.
>
> We have developed such an appender in order to log user requests for
> user tracking and personalization
>
> https://github.com/wyona/yanel/blob/master/conf/log4j.properties
>
> whereas see the boosthttp configuration
>> If they are being bundled so that multiple events are sent in each request that will
perform better

> yes, that's what we do
>> but could result in losing all the events that are buffered.
>
> one can buffer them persistently, or do I misunderstand you?
>
> I am not sure whether "refactoring"
> https://github.com/joshdevins/log4j-scribe-appender might make sense, but
> it probably makes sense to have a look at it.
>
> HTH
>
> Michael
>>
>> Ralph
>>

>> On May 1, 2014, at 7:26 AM, Walter_Marvin@DellTeam.com wrote:
>>
>>> Dell - Internal Use - Confidential
>>> Not necessarily. Remember that the people who read these logs are not in the
processing loop, and therefore do not slow down the process,
>>> What is required is an asynchronous thread or process to do the soap transfer
during off cycles, and storage to receive the messages from the
>>> Processing stream. Some sort of queuing and thread, or database storage might
be used.

event is a single request. Can you elaborate on what you really want to do?