From Ralph Goers <rgo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: configuring a non-core appender in log4j2
Date Sat, 22 Mar 2014 06:00:27 GMT
Just as an FYI if you have multiple packages your start up time is going to be impacted.  Getting
the plugins from the file is orders of magnitude faster than dynamically locating them at
runtime.

I'd love to hear why it was necessary to build a single jar. Hardly anyone recommends doing
that, especially when using Maven.

Ralph

> On Mar 21, 2014, at 3:25 PM, "Zabicki Roman (HERE/Chicago)" <roman.zabicki@here.com>
wrote:

> "when I build" -- you've described the problem exactly. I'm building with maven, and
we combine all of our classes and all the classes from the jars we're dependent on into one
single jar. This single jar can, of course, only have 1 Log4j2Plugin.dat. I have to stick
with this build/deployment strategy. I can't deploy multiple jars. So I will use the packages
attribute and let you know on Monday how it goes. Thanks for pointing that out. I had read
that page before, but I didn't get it.

has its own Log4j2Plugin.dat file.   However, you can always manually cause plugins to be
located by specifying the packages attribute - see http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/configuration.html#XML.

> Again though, if it is not automatically finding the Flume Appender then there is either
something wrong in your configuration or the log4j-flume-ng jar is not in the classpath.

> I'm curious though - when you say "when I build" what exactly are you building?  You
cannot build a new jar that includes the contents of log4j-core.jar and the contents of other
jars that also have plugins as each has their own Log4j2Plugin.dat and only one of them will
wind up in your new jar.  To do that, yes you would have to run the PluginManager against
the contents of your new jar to generate your own custom Log4j2Plugin.dat.  However, doing
that is not recommended.  We recommend that you leave the Log4j jars alone and include them
in your classpath.

flume appender. (http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/log4j-flume-ng/)

>> When I build, I wind up with the Log4j2Plugins.dat from log4j, which doesn't have
support for the flume appender, so I can't register the flume appender in my log4j2.xml. It
seems that there's no way to register custom appender classes just via log4j2.xml, and instead
I have to use PluginManager to register the \org\apache\logging\log4j\core\config\plugins\Log4j2Plugin.dat.
I can't find any examples of how to do this, let alone examples of how to automate this in
a build.

>> Is it possible to register a custom appender class solely through log4j2.xml, or
do I need to go through the PluginManager? Whatever the answer, can someone show me an example?
I'm particularly interested in how to automate this in a build.