From Piers Uso Walter <Piers.Wal...@ilink.de>
Subject Re: how to configure log4j (1.2) in JBoss 6?
Date Thu, 23 May 2013 07:19:50 GMT
Hi Remko,

yes, I know :-)

The JBoss forums are full of questions like mine, but the JBoss community seems to have long
moved on from JBoss 6, so I have not found any answers there. The way to integrate log4j seems
to have changed from JBoss 6 to newer versions, so understandably it seems that no one working
on or with JBoss 7 or 8 wants to take the time to research how that used to work back in JBoss
6.

I'll keep working on it off and on as my other tasks allow and will report back when I've
got it to work.

With kind regards,
Piers

Am 23.05.2013 um 00:17 schrieb Remko Popma:

> Piers,
>
> To be honest, this sounds more like a question that should be directed to the JBoss people...
>
> Kind regards,
> Remko
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 2013/05/20, at 22:45, Piers Uso Walter <Piers.Walter@ilink.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am migrating an application from JBoss 4 to JBoss 6 and stumble over the fact that
log4j does not seem to be supported by JBoss 6 out of the box any more.

>> I've researched this quite extensively on the web, but have only found questions
from other people, no answers. I hope someone in the log4j community has successfully used
log4j (1.2) with JBoss 6 and might be able to help.

>> Our previous setup with a log4j.xml configuration file in server/default/conf/ no
longer works. That configuration files does not seem to be detected and used by JBoss 6.
>> Basic logging (as configured in server/default/deploy/jboss-logging.xml) works, but
I have not been successful in configuring log4j appenders in that file. From what I understand,
this file does not really configure log4j, as JBoss 6 uses a new logging mechanism.

>> For example, I've modified jboss-logging.xml to use a log4j console appender and
a log4j file appender instead of the standard appenders (see attached file). This did not
work. The log file ${jboss.server.log.dir}/log4j.log is not created, the console log stays
at level INFO (instead of DEBUG).

>> What would I have to do in order to get JBoss 6 to use log4j for my applications?
>> One requirement we have is to store the log4j configuration in a central file and
not within the application packages (because for debugging purposes we ask our customers to
modify the configuration).