From Michael Wechner <michael.wech...@wyona.com>
Subject How to delete individual entries from a log file
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2011 07:59:39 GMT
Hi

As some of you might now Apache Lucene creates a "write.lock" when an
IndexWriter is updating the index,
hence it can happen that another IndexWriter (inside another thread)
won't be able to update the same index at the same time and based on a
specific timeout something might not get indexed.

We are currently logging all such instances when something does not get
indexed.

Now based on that log file, containing hints re files which have not
been indexed yet, we would like to introduce
a process starting to re-index these specific files and if successful,
then we would like to remove the corresponding particular entry from the
log file.

I understand that log4j might not be intended for such a usecase and
maybe we shouldn't try to misuse it, but I would appreciate any pointers
or ideas or alternatives.

Thanks

Michael