From "Stadelmann Josef" <josef.stadelm...@axa-winterthur.ch>
Subject AW: log4j.debug=true impact on program
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2011 08:53:00 GMT
log4j.debug=true shows in the log how your log4j.properties are parsed and which properties
may output i.e. a stack trace. I saw this once in my log when an appender tried to use a network
port which was already occupied by a more early log4j.property element. I strongly recommend
you to not hesitate and get the sources of log4j and have a look at the code in order to get
what you want, because that is what experts/developers would have to do anyway. That is because
such side effects as you see are by definition not seen by others or foreseen and hence for
sure nowhere documented. It is however also true that with debuggers sometimes variables get
initialize in a program and make a program running while not using a debugger may make the
same program fail sometimes randomly. So if you're happy with the setup your log4j.properties
enforce then it is time to switch log4j.debug=false and just use the capability now setup
correctly of your log4j system. Then find your system work or fail and then in case of a failure
look at logs and take a debugger.

Josef

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Danicela nutch [mailto:Danicela-nutch@mail.com]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 18. Oktober 2011 16:05
An: log4j-user@logging.apache.org
Betreff: log4j.debug=true impact on program

Hi,

 I use Log4j for logging in a Nutch application.

 I noticed that I need to use log4j.debug=true in log4j.properties to get everything work
properly, but I have many log4j useless lines in my log.

 The problem is that if I remove the log4j.debug=true, it changes the program as something
is working wrong then. (Things like moving folders, defining properties -D etc.)

 What are the precise actions of the log4j.debug=true ? I need to know all the actions of
this to know what treatment it modifies in my program.

Thanks in advance.