From "Konduru, Geetha" <Geetha_Kond...@medco.com>
Subject RE: log4j----Edit the event received
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2011 02:25:04 GMT
Where can I download the receivers companion jar, component companion
jar  and extra companion jar.

Thank U,
VGSS

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Deboy [mailto:scott.deboy@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:50 PM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: Re: log4j----Edit the event received

There are only three unique attributes provided for socket-received
events:
hostname
remoteSourceInfo
application (if set on appender)

If you can't leverage application and would like to use additional
properties to identify instances, there is a mechanism that supports
that
(via configuration): RewriteAppender

RewriteAppender allows you to modify event attributes (or add
properties)
before sending the event to the appender.

A RewriteAppender expects a nested appender (your SocketAppender) and a
RewritePolicy.

You can use a PropertyRewritePolicy as a quick way to add custom
properties
to each event.

This requires you to add the receivers companion jar and probably
component
companion jar (not sure about extras companion) to your appender side.

http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/receivers/apidocs/org/apache/
log4j/rewrite/RewriteAppender.html
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/receivers/apidocs/org/apache/
log4j/rewrite/RewritePolicy.html

Example configuration (didn't run this, but it should be correct) that
will
add two properties to each event, somepropertyname1 and
somepropertyname2.

<appender name="rewrite"
class="org.apache.log4j.rewrite.RewriteAppender">
    <appender name="socket" class="org.apache.log4j.net.SocketAppender">
      <param name="Port" value="12346"/>
      <param name="RemoteHost" value="localhost"/>
      <param name="Application" value="app1"/>
      <param name="ReconnectionDelay" value="60000"/>
      <param name="Threshold" value="ALL"/>
    </appender>
    <RewritePolicy name="propertyPolicy"
class="org.apache.log4j.rewrite.PropertyRewritePolicy">
        <param name="properties"
value="somepropertyname1=somepropertyvalue1,somepropertyname2=someproper
tyvalue2">
    </RewritePolicy>
</appender>

Scott