From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Log4j closes System.err
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2011 05:37:29 GMT

On Feb 28, 2011, at 4:41 AM, Martin Nyolt wrote:

> No idea, anyone?
> Appearently, this has to work somehow, since using a configuration file you can set the
follow-option to be true without closing any stream.
> But I never found any hint how to do this.
>
> Am 18.02.2011 15:01, schrieb Martin Nyolt:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I use the following code to load a default configuration in case no configuration
was set using the log4j.configuration property:

>> static {
>> LOGGER = Logger.getLogger(MyClass.class);
>> Logger root = Logger.getRootLogger();
>> boolean inited = root.getAllAppenders().hasMoreElements();
>>
>> if (!inited) {
>> Layout layout = new PatternLayout("%-5p [%t]: %m%n");
>> // create Appender to System.err
>> ConsoleAppender app = new ConsoleAppender(layout, ConsoleAppender.SYSTEM_ERR);

The preceding call is the problem.  The configurators call the default constructor (in this
case, new ConsoleAppender()), then call property setters, then call activateOptions().  The
non-default constructors are convenience functions that result in a fully activated appender
ready to go in one call.  However, in this case, that behavior is not desired.  Switch this
to a default constructor and calls to setLayout, setTarget, setFollow and then activateOptions.