From valerie.bau...@bull.net
Subject Réf. : AW: Encoding problem
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2011 15:50:01 GMT
Ok, you're right ! I opened my log file with ultraedit and it did not
recognize the UTF-8 encoding. If I change to ISO-8859-1 it's ok.

Thank you !

"Stadelmann Josef" <josef.stadelmann@axa-winterthur.ch>
03/01/2011 16:33
Veuillez répondre à "Log4J Users List"

        Pour :  "Log4J Users List" <log4j-user@logging.apache.org>
        cc :
        Objet : AW: Encoding problem

Can you try

log4j.appender.monappender.Encoding="ISO-8859-1"

in this case your logger output should be a single byte for a é but not 2
as with UTF-8

But I guess that is not your problem. Also you are not telling me with
which program your logfile is shown to the user.

If your characters are encoded in UTF-8 then any accented character like é
is represented by a 2 bytes sequence

So it might happen that your logfile is encoded in UTF-8, hence é is
actually 2 bytes stored in a logfile!

Now opening the log file with microsoft word, and telling word
(interactively) that the file has an UTF-8 encoding should make word
display the proper é but not 2 characters.

If you encode as ISO-8854-1 (as shown above) you need to tell word that
the log-file-encoding was done using ISO-8854-1, and word will display é

Josef