From Scott Deboy <scott.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Chainsaw V2: Possible to create receiver without modifying remote log4j file?
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2010 21:56:10 GMT
Yes, using Chainsaw with a VFSLogFilePatternReceiver will allow you to
remotely tail log files if they're available via one of the file systems
supported by Jakarta Commons-VFS.

I've used both the sftp:// support to tail a file that's on another server
and accessible via ssh, and smb:// to tail a file that's on a windows server
(smb support is in the Jakarta Commons-VFS sandbox, so you'd have to build
from source).

There is an example receiver configuration available from Chainsaw's Welcome
tab, and information on how to get VFS working with Chainsaw here:
http://logging.apache.org/chainsaw/distributionnotes.html

Link to Jakarta Commons-VFS:
http://commons.apache.org/vfs/
See the 'file system types' link.

If possible, I'd suggest pulling down the log4j companions and Chainsaw from
the svn repo, build using maven, and run that version of Chainsaw....it has
a ton of new features (updated Chainsaw version hopefully released soon).

Scott