From "Jacob Kjome" <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Standalone instance with multiple log4j setting
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2010 16:49:54 GMT
For applications deployed as EAR files, you can't expect a webapp's
WEB-INF/lib/log4j.jar to be picked up by EJB's deployed outside that webapp.
In that case, you'd need to place it in some common upper level (not at all in
WEB-INF/lib) where both the webapp and EJB can see it.  Of course, unless you
have a server that allows you to manage the classloading behavior of an EAR
file (i.e., set parent-last on the EAR as a whole), not just a WAR file, then
you can't depend on classloading.

This is where logger repository selectors come in.  You can have a global
log4j.jar file (i.e. in the server's global classpath) and still separate
logger repositories.  You just need to use some environmental value as the key
to the logger repositories in the selector, such as thread, classloader, or
JNDI.  I think you might benefit from the latter.  One already exists in the
log4j-sandbox tagged as Alpha3.  See the article I pointed to in my previous
response for details.

There are caveats and you may find that shared libraries using statically
defined loggers (e.g., 'static final Logger logger =
Logger.getLogger("MyLoggerName")') end up logging to a different logger
repository than you expected.  This occurs because the logger is only looked
up once, so the logger repository used will be the first one looked up.  If
one webapp looks it up first, it's logger repository will be used for the life
of the library (i.e., until server restart).  Other apps using the library
will have that library's logs going to the first application's logger
repository.

I know of no good way around this that I know of.  Maybe Ceki has come up with
a better way over the years in his work with Logback?  You might ask on that
mailing list.

Jake