From Matt Brown <Matt.Br...@citrixOnline.com>
Subject RE: Verifying initialization
Date Fri, 11 Sep 2009 13:20:48 GMT
I don't think you're going to find anything in log4j proper which can help you find out this
type of information.

I believe that one of the major design goals for log4j was for the framework to fail gracefully,
and not have logging errors cause application errors - not to prevent an application from
running just because the log file couldn't be found/opened/etc.

-----Original Message-----
From: ecmcn [mailto:eric.mcneill@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:48 PM
To: log4j-user@logging.apache.org
Subject: Verifying initialization

What are some common techniques for verifying Log4J startup and initialization completed successfully?

For a specific example, if DOMConfigurator can't parse my XML config file I'll get errors
to stdout but nothing that tells my code there was a problem. I tried checking for the existence
of my Appenders, but it seems they're loaded asynchronously. I could loop and wait until they're
all there, but it seems like I must be missing something obvious.

Any best practices out there?

thanks,
Eric