From David Grigglestone <dav...@progress.com>
Subject Log4j and unique message identities
Date Mon, 01 Jun 2009 21:57:24 GMT
Maybe I'm missing something in the API but I don't see API support for
associating a unique (e.g. numeric) identifier to a message.

Unique message identifiers are useful in production systems to allow:

    * Easy message identification irrespective of localization
    * A key on which JIRA or knowledge base issues can be based
    * A key from which automated management actions can be triggered

The best I can think of is embedding such an identifier in a message,
e.g. "[#2506] System has a headache".

How have others dealt with this need?

Are there any additional logging libraries that can help deal with this
issue or any other relevant works that may be of interest?

thanks for your input, David