From "Bender Heri" <HBen...@Ergonomics.ch>
Subject AW: turn off log messages in rootLogger which are supposed to end up in a named logger
Date Thu, 25 Jun 2009 17:10:10 GMT
Something like
log4j.logger.PhasesLogger.additivity=false
I am not quite sure about the correct syntax in properties file (I work always with xml files).
The additivity flag of a logger prevents the loggin event to climb up further the logger hierarchy.
Heri

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: news [mailto:news@ger.gmane.org] Im Auftrag von ossi petz
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 25. Juni 2009 18:32
An: log4j-user@logging.apache.org
Betreff: turn off log messages in rootLogger which are supposed to end up in a named logger

hello

I'm sorry for asking this boring question but after hours of experiments and even reading
a (quite old) book I cant find a solution. So maybe someone can give me a hint what i am doing
wrong.

The plan is to have an application log file and a performanceLog file which contains only
certain messages ("PhasesLogger").

At the moment the messages for the performanceLog end up in the root logger too. This is my
log config:

log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG,R
log4j.logger.PhasesLogger=DEBUG,performanceLogger

log4j.appender.R.File=/home/tomcat/tomcat/logs/log.log
log4j.appender.R.MaxFileSize=10000KB
log4j.appender.R.MaxBackupIndex=10

log4j.appender.R.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{ISO8601} [%-6p] %30c - %m%n # log4j.appender.R.threshold=ERROR

# Performance Appender:
log4j.appender.performanceLogger=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.performanceLogger.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.performanceLogger.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{ISO8601}
[%-6p] %14c - %m%n
log4j.appender.performanceLogger.File=/home/tomcat/tomcat/logs/performanceLogger.log
log4j.appender.performanceLogger.MaxFileSize=10000KB
log4j.appender.performanceLogger.MaxBackupIndex=10
# log4j.appender.performanceLogger.threshold=DEBUG

The performanceLogger is retrieved like this:

private static final Logger PLOG = Logger.getLogger("PhasesLogger"); PLOG.debug("things...");

how can i turn off to have the log messages for the phases/performanceLogger end up in the
rootLogger file too?

any hints are welcome!

regards

ossi