From "Lesley Tay" <Lesley....@macquarie.com>
Subject RE: log4j v1.2.14 compatible with Java 1.6?
Date Thu, 18 Jun 2009 08:05:39 GMT
Hi Ceki / all,

Since then I've done abit more investigation and found a few odd things
which support the theory that there is more than 1 thread writing
to the same log file thus causing our log file to get corrupted and have missing entries.

I noticed that:
* a thread dump via Weblogic 10.3 is showing that when we deploy our app, there are 12 AsyncAppender

threads that are active in just 1 weblogic server JVM (threads look like the below):

            "Dispatcher-Thread-37" waiting for lock java.util.ArrayList@1f608cc WAITING

            	java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)

            	java.lang.Object.wait(Object.java:485)

            	org.apache.log4j.AsyncAppender$Dispatcher.run(AsyncAppender.java:540)

            	java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

* there are also 2 unix file descriptors open on each of the log files that are getting corrupted.

All the file descriptors come from the 1 java process for the Weblogic server jvm above
(Again supports the 2 threads writing to the same physical file theory).

I'm planning to debug our app locally to see what's creating the extra AsyncAppender threads.
Is someone able to tell me how many AsyncAppender threads we should expect to get spawned
given our log4j.xml config file. I've attached this to the email as a text file.

I'm thinking there should be 6 AsyncAppender threads since we define 6 AsyncAppenders.
Is that right?

Thanks,
Lesley