From "Jacob Kjome" <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Dynamic File Name and Turn off File Logging
Date Wed, 20 May 2009 13:53:15 GMT
Why not place a temporary Log4j config file in the classspath that does
something minimal like configuring only the root logger and setting the
appender to console with the level set to WARN.  Then, when you are ready to
configure at runtime, you can load up your real log4j.properties file and pass
in a properties object containing a property you can reference in
log4j.properties with the path for the log file.  For instance...

log4j.appender.LOGFILE.File=${file.appender.path}

Note that you could also use this properties file as your primary Log4j
auto-configuration file and set a system property instead.  You'd reference it
the same way as above.  For instance...

java -Dfile.appender.path=/path/to/logfile.log MyApplcation

Jake