From Douglas E Wegscheid <Douglas_E_Wegsch...@whirlpool.com>
Subject RE: Dynamic File Name and Turn off File Logging
Date Wed, 20 May 2009 15:23:25 GMT
if you set -DLOG4J_NULL=/dev/null in the unix shell script, and set
-DLOG4J_NULL=nul in the Windows command file, then you can just say:

log4j.appender.R.File=${LOG4J_NULL}

in your log4j.properties, and it will work in both cases (assuming you use
the correct appender name, and not the one I just wrote!). See the top of
the javadocs for PropertyConfigurator.

Property substitution is also supported in the DomConfigurator, see
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/logging-log4j-dev/200105.mbox/%3C5.0.2.1.0.20010506010420.01cabb58@mail.qos.ch%3E
for a good example.

Douglas E Wegscheid
Lead Technical Analyst, Whirlpool Corporation
(269)-923-5278

"A wrong note played hesitatingly is a wrong note. A wrong note played
with conviction is interpretation."

power97 <cjob68@shaw.ca>
05/20/2009 11:11 AM
Please respond to
"Log4J Users List" <log4j-user@logging.apache.org>

log4j-user@logging.apache.org
cc

Subject
RE: Dynamic File Name and Turn off File Logging

I'm setting it right in the log4j.properties file. I'm thinking it won't
be a
big deal to just move the log4j outside the JAR file and change it when on
Unix.

Even if I set the value in batch script on windows and unix I still have
manually set the values so setting it in the log4j.properties maybe isn't
anymore work.