From Matt Brown <Matt.Br...@citrixOnline.com>
Subject RE: Log stack trace or simply message option?
Date Tue, 28 Apr 2009 12:34:33 GMT
How are users "seeing" the log output - console output? A file?

If it is only the former, then you could simply have the log messages sent to the console
AND a log file as well, in case you need the latter for troubleshooting.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm dodging your main question - I wouldn't know the answer to that
so I'm just trying to offer up some other suggestions that might solve your problem without
changing the log4j behavior.

-Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Keens [mailto:keens@pcigeomatics.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 7:09 AM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: RE: Log stack trace or simply message option?

Matt,

The reason for not wanting the stack trace in "release" mode is because some users don't want
to see it.  As a user I can understand that.  As a developer I like to see the stack trace.
 Adding the option helps both parties.

I thought of your solution but that doubles the log events for exceptions when debug is enabled.

There is precedence for what I'm asking.  The PatternLayout lets me choose what is written
in the log.  Why are exceptions special that they must always be written?

Cheers
--
Steven Keens