From Matt Brown <Matt.Br...@citrixOnline.com>
Subject RE: Log stack trace or simply message option?
Date Mon, 27 Apr 2009 20:28:04 GMT
I'm kind of curious why you wouldn't want the stacktrace in "release" mode. Isn't it just as
valuable to you then as it is during "debug" mode - perhaps moreso if it is a "release" version
of your software?

You could just log the exceptions to a different level, one that is not enabled in the "release"
mode, something like:

catch (SomeException e) {
   log.debug("caught SomeException", e);
   log.error("caught SomeException");
}

And then have the debug level disabled in "release" version.

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Keens [mailto:keens@pcigeomatics.com]
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2009 2:54 PM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: Log stack trace or simply message option?

In some places in my code I use the Logger.error(String msg, Throwable
t) function to emit log events.  When running in "release" mode I'd like to just simply show
the log message.  When running in "debug" mode I'd like to show the full stack trace.

Is there a way to disable logging the stack trace based upon a configuration option? Would
I have to write my own code?

I did a relatively quick scan through the source and could not find a way to do it.

Cheers
--
Steven Keens

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe
together."  - Carl Zwanzig

PCI Geomatics
OGC Technical Representative
Phone: 819-770-0022 x204