From Matt Brown <Matt.Br...@citrixOnline.com>
Subject RE: Log4j exception Could not close org.apache.log4j.helpers.CountingQuietWriter
Date Fri, 24 Apr 2009 15:59:35 GMT
I'm not really up on the internals of RollingFileAppender, but I would bet that the file residing
on a shared NFS directory is in fact the cause of the problem. This log message (which is
just logged at INFO, and isn't truly an exception being thrown outside of log4j) is indicating
that log4j could not close the file, which I believe it is necessary to do to rename it.

I'd assume the file could not be closed / renamed because someone was accessing it on the
shared location and possibly even had it locked.

-----Original Message-----
From: ramakrishna menon [mailto:rmenon.us@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2009 11:26 AM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: Re: Log4j exception Could not close org.apache.log4j.helpers.CountingQuietWriter

Sure - thank you for a super prompt response! Here is my log4j configuration. The directory
in which the application writes is a shared NFS directory if it makes any difference. But
no other vm (tomcat) or application is writing to this directory...
# log4j properties file
#log4j.debug=true
log4j.rootLogger=WARN, R
#
log4j.appender.R.File=/data/etl/ssm/extractor/logs/extractor.log
log4j.appender.R.MaxFileSize=20MB
log4j.appender.R.MaxBackupIndex=30
log4j.appender.R.layout.ConversionPattern=%d [%t] %-5p %c - %m%n # log4j.logger.com.opinmind=DEBUG
log4j.logger.org.apache.commons.digester=debug

R. M. Menon - A Rafi fan(www.mohdrafi.com) Author, Expert Oracle JDBC Programming, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/159059407X/