From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: log4j and xlink
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2009 18:22:34 GMT

On Jan 18, 2009, at 10:41 PM, Arindam wrote:

> Hi, I am faced with a problem. I have multiple java-modules which
> run as
> daemons, and am configuring their log4j.xml configuration.
> I would like the individual xml configuration files to pick up the
> stdout /
> email appenders from a core file, and have their own appenders along
> with
> them.
> I was thinking of using Xlink to do such a linking, but it seems
> Xlink is
> not supported in log4j.
>
> Is there a way to link appenders defined in another xml ? Except maybe
> programmatically attach an appender ?
>
> Thanks,
> Arindam.

You can use external entities which the XML parser will resolve before
log4j see anything.  For example:

<!DOCTYPE log4j:configuration [
<!ENTITY common SYSTEM "common.xml">
]>
<log4j:configuration>
    <!--  common stuff -->
     &common;

    <!--  custom stuff -->
</log4j:configuration>

I believe earlier versions of log4j had problems with external
entities (either they didn't work at all or you had to use absolute
URL since the base URL was lost).