From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 2 processes on the same log file? What consequences?
Date Mon, 20 Oct 2008 15:10:14 GMT

On Oct 20, 2008, at 8:08 AM, Briganti Raffaele wrote:

> Hi everyone.
>
> We've a server with two separate processes running on it and writing
> their = log on the same file. More precisely, these two processes
> are two separate = WebSphere Application Servers configured to write
> on the same log file: all=  the other resources they work on are
> separate from each other. Sometimes t= he two servers begin to
> respond slowly to the requests, so we're forced to = restart the
> processes to return to a normal situation.
>
> Our idea is that having two processes writing on the same log file
> is a bad=  idea. Is that so?
>
> We've also noted that the RollingFileAppender mechanism doesn't
> often work:=  even when the log file exceeds its maximum size and
> the backup file is cre= ated, one of the two processes keeps writing
> its log on the older file, not=  in the newer one. This could be a
> clue of a malfunctioning when two proces= ses write on the same log
> file.
>
> Any suggestion?
>
> Hope you can help us.
>
> Best regards.

java.io provides no mechanism to detect or reliably write to the same
file from difference processes.  Both those scenarios that you have
described are well known.  Users of log4j have been strongly
encouraged to avoid those scenarios.

There is a FAQ (http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/faq.html#3.3) that
indirectly addresses this issue, it assumes that you know it is a
problem and tells you one suggested mechanism to address the issue
(using SocketAppenders to talk to a common SocketReceiver that then
writes to a file).

It may be possible with java.nio that an appender that could be
written to safely concurrently write to a common file.  I've hoped to
explore that, but haven't gotten to it.